Practice Risk Management
Because most accidents are the result of a simple mistake, nearly all accidents are easily preventable.
- The best way to avoid having a serious accident is to take a few simple steps toward accident prevention. The water can be an unfriendly environment if you don't recognize risks and are not properly prepared for them.
- Risk management is the process of recognizing and acting upon accident warning signs or minimizing the effects of an accident if it does occur.
- By taking this safety course, you are practicing risk management. You've already reduced the chance that you will be involved in a dangerous boating emergency by learning safe boating practices.
- You now know the "rules of the road" and how important it is to pay close attention to other boats and potential hazards and to maintain a safe speed. By practicing these rules, you greatly reduce the chance that you'll be involved in an accident.
- Developing a habit of wearing your life jacket also reduces the chance that you will drown should you find yourself in the water unexpectedly.
- Below is additional information to help you understand and minimize the risks associated with boating and make your time on the water safe and enjoyable.