The Handbook of Texas Boating Laws and Responsibilities
The Official Boating Handbook of the Texas Parks and Wildlife
Table of Contents
Texas Required Equipment Checklist
|PWC||Boat Less Than 16 Ft.||Boat 16 Ft. To Less Than 26 Ft.|
|Boater Education Certification Card and Photographic Identification On Board||✓1||✓1||✓1|
|Certificate of Number On Board||✓||✓||✓|
|Validation Decals Displayed||✓||✓||✓|
|PFDs: Type I, II, III, or V||✓2||✓3||✓3|
|PFD: Type IV||✓|
|Type B-I Fire Extinguisher||✓||✓||✓|
|Ignition Safety Switch||✓|
|Backfire Flame Arrestor||✓||✓4||✓4|
|Horn, Whistle, or Bell||✓||✓||✓|
|Daytime Visual Distress Signals||✓5|
|Nighttime Visual Distress Signals||6||✓5||✓5|
- Applicable if operator is under 18 years of age. See Who May Operate a Vessel.
- Those on PWCs must wear a personal flotation device (life jacket) at all times.
- Those under the age of 13 must wear a PFD at all times while underway.
- Required on boats with inboard engines or stern drives.
- Required when boating on federally controlled waters.
- Certain items are not applicable to PWCs because they are not allowed to operate between sunset and sunrise.