Towing a Person With a Vessel Legally
In addition to adhering to boating laws as they apply to all vessels, vessel operators towing a person(s) on water skis, aquaplane, or other similar device must obey these laws.
- You may tow a water-skier only between the hours of one half-hour before sunrise and one half-hour after sunset. PWCs are restricted to sunrise to sunset.
- A vessel towing a person(s) on water skis or similar device must have one of the following:
- A person, in addition to the vessel operator, on board and observing the towed person(s) or ...
- Person(s) being towed are wearing a USCG–approved PFD. Ski belts and inflatable PFDs are not approved.
- The operator of the towing vessel and the skier must not operate in a manner which endangers the safety of persons or property. It is illegal to cause the person being towed to collide with any object or person.