Displaying the Registration Number and Validation Decals
If your vessel requires registration, it is illegal to operate it or allow others to operate your vessel unless it is registered and numbered as described below or unless you have a valid temporary registration on board.
- Number must be painted, applied as a decal, or otherwise affixed to both sides of the bow and placed where it can be easily read.
- Number must read from left to right on both sides of the bow.
- Number must be in at least three-inch-high BLOCK letters (not slanted).
- Number's color must sharply contrast with its background.
- Letters must be separated from the numbers by a space or hyphen; for example: AL 3717 ZW or AL-3717-ZW.
- No other numbers may be displayed on either side of the bow.
- Decals must be affixed on each side of the vessel. They should be placed within six inches before or after, and in line with, the registration number.