About the Study Guide

You are looking at a preview of what’s in the timed Alabama Boat Ed Course. Feel free to look around, but you’ll need to register to begin progress toward getting your Alabama Boating Course Certificate of Completion.

Learn More Register for the Course

  • Registrations are issued on a staggered basis each year. The first letter of the owner's last name determines the renewal month.
  • If you change address, you must notify the ALEA Marine Police Division within 15 days of the change.
  • If a numbered vessel is destroyed, stolen, abandoned, or lost, the owner should report it to the AMPD within 15 days of the event.
  • If you lose or destroy your Certificate of Number, you must apply to the issuing office for a duplicate and submit a processing fee.
  • Larger recreational vessels owned by U.S. citizens may (at the option of the owner) be documented by the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG). Call the USCG at 1-800-799-8362 for more information. Recreational vessels which are documented must also be registered in Alabama.
  • Alabama law does not require registration of boat trailers or titling of vessels.