Requirement to Carry Fire Extinguishers
- All vessels are required to have a Type B U.S. Coast Guard–approved fire extinguisher on board if one or more of the following conditions exist:
- Inboard or inboard/outboard engines
- Closed compartments under seats where portable fuel tanks may be stored
- Permanently installed fuel tanks
- Closed or semi-closed living spaces
- Devices on board that consume petroleum products (e.g., stoves, lanterns)
- Approved types of fire extinguishers are identified by the following marking on the label—"Marine Type USCG Approved"—followed by the type and size symbols and the approval number.