Operating Near Marine Mammal Species
Operating Near Marine Mammal Species is operating a vessel in an area where there are marine mammal species that are protected by federal law.
According to federal law, vessel operators should:
- Stay at least 300 feet from marine mammals.
- Keep the time spent viewing the animals to less than 30 minutes.
- Not chase the animals.
- Make sure the animals have a clear escape route.
- Put the engine in neutral to let any approaching animals pass.
- Leave the area if an animal becomes upset.
- Make sure no one on the vessel feeds the animals or touches a young animal.