About the Study Guide

You are looking at a preview of what’s in the timed Alaska Boat Ed Course. Feel free to look around, but you’ll need to register to begin progress toward getting your Alaska Boater Education Certificate.

Learn More Register for the Course

A Certificate of Number is valid for three years and expires on the last day of the month at the end of the three-year period.

Vessels registered in another state may operate on Alaska waters for 90 consecutive days before Alaska registration is required.

The owner of a numbered vessel must notify the Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) within 15 days if:

  • He or she changes address.
  • The vessel is stolen, recovered, destroyed, abandoned, or sold.

If you lose or destroy your Certificate of Number or decals, you must apply to the Alaska DMV for a duplicate and submit a processing fee.

Larger recreational vessels owned by U.S. citizens may (at the option of the owner) be documented by the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG). Call the USCG at 1-800-799-8362 for more information.

Registration Questions? Call the Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles at 907-269-5551 or visit the website at www.doa.alaska.gov/dmv.