Table of Contents

Download the PDF Version

It's the Law

Discharge of Oil and Other Hazardous Substances

It is illegal to discharge oil or hazardous substances.

  • You must dispose of oil waste in an approved oil waste container.
  • Use bilge absorbents (bilge pillows) in the bilge area to absorb any oil or fuel, preventing it from being pumped back into the water. Secure the bilge pillow to avoid interference with the bilge pump and blower system.
  • If boating on federally controlled waters and your vessel is 26 feet or longer, you must display a 5 x 8-inch placard near the bilge pump switch that states the Federal Water Pollution Control Act’s law.
If your vessel discharges oil or hazardous substances into the water:
  • Call the National Response Center at 1-800-424-8802.
  • Also report the discharge to the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality at 1-800-234-5677.