The Boater's Guide of Arizona: A Handbook of Boating Laws and Responsibilities
The Official Boating Handbook of the Arizona Game and Fish Department - Web Version
Table of Contents
You can help ensure a good time while operating your vessel by performing this pre-departure check.
- Check the weather forecast for the area and time frame during which you will be boating. High winds create hazardous conditions for boaters.
- Make sure that the steering and throttle controls operate properly and all lights are working properly.
- Check for any fuel leaks from the tank, fuel lines, and carburetor.
- Check the engine compartment for oil leaks.
- Check hose connections for leaks or cracks, and make sure hose clamps are tight.
- Drain all water from the engine compartment, and be sure the bilge plug is replaced and secure.
- Check to be sure you have a fully charged engine battery and fire extinguishers.
- If so equipped, make sure the engine cut-off switch and wrist lanyard are in good order.
- Make sure you have the required number of life jackets (personal flotation devices or PFDs), and check that they are in good condition.
- Leave a float plan with a reliable friend or relative.