Anglers Who Use Boats to Fish
Fishing is the most popular activity among boaters. Anglers using vessels can be at risk. Unfortunately, anglers capsizing or falling overboard are common fatal boating accidents.
Anglers who use vessels to fish need to think of themselves first as vessel operators. If you fish and boat, you should:
- Know and follow all safe boating laws and requirements.
- Pay attention to the capacity plate and not overload your vessel.
- Wear a life jacket (PFD) especially when the water is cold or when fishing alone or in remote areas. (A wearable PFD is required in most competitive fishing tournaments.)
- Recycle or toss used fishing line into receptacles on shore and not into the water or onto shorelines. Fishing line is not biodegradable and is dangerous to wildlife and propellers.
- Take care of your fishing boat just like you do your fishing equipment.