About the Study Guide

You are looking at a preview of what’s in the timed Arkansas Boat Ed Course. Feel free to look around, but you’ll need to register to begin progress toward getting your Arkansas Boating Safety Education Certificate.

Learn More Register for the Course

  • The owner of a motorboat that requires registration must apply for the registration within 30 days of the date of purchase. The motorboat may be operated during this period if the owner has on board a dated proof of purchase.
  • A Certificate of Number is valid for three years.
  • If an outboard engine is purchased for a previously registered motorboat, the serial number of the engine must be provided to the Department of Finance and Administration (DFA).
  • If ownership of a registered motorboat changes, the new owner must apply to the DFA for transfer of the registration within 30 days of the ownership change.
  • If a registered motorboat is abandoned or destroyed, the owner must notify the DFA within 15 days of the event and the Certificate of Number will be terminated.
  • If you lose or destroy your registration card or decals, you must apply for a duplicate and submit a processing fee.
  • Larger recreational vessels owned by U.S. citizens may (at the option of the owner) be documented by the USCG. Call the USCG at 1-800-799-8362 for more information.

Note: Documentation through the USCG does not relieve the owner of his or her responsibility to assess the motorboat for personal property taxes.

Registration Questions?
Call the Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration at 1-800-662-8247 or 501-682-4703. Also, you can call or visit your County Revenue Office, or visit the Department of Finance and Administration on the Internet at www.arkansas.gov/dfa