Safety While Windsurfing
A growing water sport is windsurfing (or sailboarding). Windsurfers should:
- Dress appropriately.
- Wear a life jacket (PFD).
- Wear a wetsuit to avoid hypothermia.
- Tell someone where you are going and when you expect to return. Give this person instructions on what to do or whom to call in case you are overdue.
- Avoid becoming overly fatigued. One danger of windsurfing is falling off the board and being too exhausted to swim back to it. If you feel weak, furl the sail, lie stomach-down on the board, and stroke to shore.
- Always be on the lookout for vessels, avoiding them and their wakes. Remember, your sail can block your view of approaching vessels.
- If operating in open water, be careful not to stray too far from shore.