Which Boats Require Registration?
Requirements for vessel registration vary from state to state. In Arkansas, you must have an Arkansas Certificate of Number (registration) and validation decals to operate a motorboat legally on Arkansas public waters. Exceptions to registration are:
- Vessels that are not propelled by an engine or by sail
- Vessels properly registered in another state and using Arkansas waters for 90 or fewer consecutive days
- Vessels documented by the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG)
According to Arkansas Code (law):
- Motorboat means any vessel operated upon water that is propelled by sail or machinery, whether or not the machinery is the principal source of propulsion.
- Vessel is defined as every description of watercraft used or capable of being used as a means of transportation.