Who May Operate a Motorized Vessel
The following requirements apply to operation of a motorboat powered by an engine of 10 horsepower or more.
- A person under 12 years of age must:
- Satisfy the boating education requirement (see below) and…
- Be under the direct visible and audible supervision of a parent, guardian, or person over 17 years of age.
- A person 12 years of age or older must satisfy the boating education requirement (see below) if born on or after January 1, 1986.
- It is illegal for the owner or person in control of a motorboat to allow someone who does not meet the age or boating education requirements to operate the vessel.