The Canada Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC)

Who needs the Boater Education Card?

You need education if you will be operating a pleasure craft that has a motor and is used for recreational purposes in Canada.

There is no minimum age requirement to take this online course.

You do not have to be a resident of Canada to take this online course.

You Must Carry the Card

Pleasure craft operators who are required to have a Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC) must carry the card on board the vessel and have it available for inspection by an enforcement officer.


All provinces, territories, and states that have mandatory boater education requirements will accept the Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC). Likewise, Canada will accept boating education cards that are issued by states that meet NASBLA requirements as proof of competency. (This is known as “reciprocity.”)

Is the Canada Boating Licence the same as the permanent Pleasure Craft Operator Card?

No. Because the Pleasure Craft Operator Card does not expire and does not need to be renewed, it is not called the Canada Boating Licence.

I do not have a driver’s licence. Can I still get the Pleasure Craft Operator Card?

Yes. You are not required to have a driver’s license in order to obtain a Pleasure Craft Operator Card.

Other Questions

For these and other questions about your boating card, please check our FAQs.

How do I get a card?

How do I get a replacement card?

Get Certified Online!

Take this Transport Canada–approved course to complete your online Boating safety education.

Canada Boating safety education card Accepted in all Provinces

unlimited exam attempts

Transport Canada, Marine Safety and Security
Tower C, Place de Ville
330 Sparks Street
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0N8

Need help? Here are the answers to the questions Canada Boating students most frequently ask.

Frequently Asked Questions