If Caught in Severe Weather—Prepare Your Boat and Passengers
Prepare the boat to handle severe weather.
- Slow down, but keep enough power to maintain headway and steering.
- Close all hatches, windows, and doors to reduce the chance of swamping.
- Stow any unnecessary gear.
- Turn on your navigation lights. If there is fog, sound your fog horn. If you have radar, use it when visibility is restricted.
- Keep bilges free of water. Be prepared to remove water by bailing.
- If there is lightning, disconnect all electrical equipment. Stay as clear of metal objects as possible.
Prepare your passengers if caught in foul weather.
- Have everyone put on a Canadian-approved lifejacket or PFD. If a lifejacket or PFD is already on, make sure it is secured properly.
- Have your passengers sit on the floor close to the centreline. This is for their safety and to make the pleasure craft more stable.