About the Study Guide

This Online Study Guide has been approved by Transport Canada strictly on the basis that it meets the requirements of the Standard for Pleasure Craft Operator Card Testing over the Internet (TP 15080E) and the Boating Safety Course and Test Syllabus (TP 14932E). This approval does not represent confirmation of authorship by the course provider. Feel free to look around, but you’ll need to register to begin progress toward getting your Pleasure Craft Operator Card

Learn More Register for the Course

A sound-signalling device or appliance is essential in periods of reduced visibility, such as fog and heavy rain, or whenever a boat operator needs to signal his or her intentions or position. For example, sound signals are necessary when meeting head-on, crossing, or overtaking, and in emergency situations. The Small Vessel Regulations require you to carry a sound-signalling device or appliance.

The length of the pleasure craft determines which sound-signalling equipment—a sound-signalling device or a sound-signalling appliance—you must carry.

  • Sound-signalling devices are sound-making devices that are not fitted on the pleasure craft and include whistles, pealess whistles, air horns, etc.
  • Sound-signalling appliances are fitted on the pleasure craft and include whistles, horns, bells, and gongs.