What To Do If You Are in a Collision
If you are involved in a collision and you are still in the pleasure craft:
- Stop the engine.
- Make sure everyone is wearing a lifejacket or PFD.
- Check to see if anyone is injured. If so, help them to the best of your abilities.
- Check to see if your pleasure craft is leaking or flooding. If it is:
- Turn on the bilge pumping system if you have one or…
- Try to fix the leak or…
- Use your bailers or manual bilge pumps to try to keep the boat afloat.
- Summon help using your visual signals or your VHF marine radio. Be sure to give your location and a description of your pleasure craft to the person you contact.
- Assist the other boat and its passengers if possible.
- Exchange name, address, and boat identification with any other operator involved in the collision.
- Take pictures in case you need them for an insurance claim.