What To Do If Your Pleasure Craft Runs Aground
If you run aground, make sure no one is injured and then check for leaks.
- If the impact caused a leak:
- Have everyone leave the pleasure craft if you are grounded on land.
- Drop anchor or use some other means to keep your pleasure craft where it is.
- Use a bailer or bilge pump if necessary to keep your pleasure craft from sinking.
- If the impact did not cause a leak, follow these steps to try to get loose.
- Don’t put the pleasure craft in reverse. Instead, stop the engine and lift the outdrive.
- Shift the weight to the area farthest away from the point of impact.
- Try to shove off from the rock, bottom, or reef with a paddle or boathook.
- Check to make sure your pleasure craft is not taking on water.
If your pleasure craft is leaking or you can’t get loose, summon help using your visual signals or your VHF marine radio.