Displaying the Registration Number and Validation Decals
The registration number and validation decals must be displayed as follows.
- Number must be painted, applied as a decal, or otherwise affixed to both sides of forward half of the vessel, as high above the waterline as possible.
- Number must read from left to right on both sides of the vessel.
- Number must be in at least three-inch-high, vertical BLOCK letters.
- Number’s color must contrast sharply with its background.
- Letters must be separated from the numbers by a space or hyphen.
DL 3717 ZW or DL-3717-ZW.
- No other numbers may be displayed on either side of the bow.
- Decal must be affixed on both sides of the vessel within six inches of, and in line with, the registration number. The decal may precede or follow the number. Expired decals must be removed.
If your vessel requires registration, it is illegal to operate it or allow others to operate your vessel unless it is registered and numbered as described above.
The Certificate of Number (registration card) must be carried on board the vessel whenever the vessel is operated.