Specific PFD Requirements
Delaware law requires the following with respect to personal flotation devices (life jackets).
- All vessels must have at least one USCG–approved Type I, II, or III PFD (life jacket) for each person on board.
- In addition to the requirement for life jackets, one USCG–approved Type IV (throwable) PFD must be on board vessels 16 feet or longer.
- All PFDs must be in good and serviceable condition and readily accessible. The PFDs must be of the proper size for the intended wearer. Sizing for PFDs is based on body weight and chest size.
- Children 12 years old and younger must wear a USCG–approved Type I, II, III, or V PFD at all times while on any vessel except when the child is below deck or in an enclosed cabin or when the vessel is at anchor or moored.
- Each person on board a PWC and anyone being towed behind a vessel must wear a USCG–approved PFD. Ski belts are not approved PFDs.