Who May Operate a Motorized Vessel
The following boating safety education requirements apply to any registered or documented boat or personal watercraft (PWC) operated on Delaware waters.
- All operators born on or after January 1, 1978, must have successfully completed a boating course approved by the DNREC. The only exceptions are persons with a valid U.S. Coast Guard license, or a valid Delaware River Captain and Bay Pilot’s license or the equivalent.
- Those required to have completed a boating course must carry on board their state-issued or NASBLA—approved certificate of boating safety education.
- In addition, there are age restrictions on the operation of PWCs:
- Those under the age of 14 years may not operate a PWC under any conditions.
- Those 14 and 15 years of age who hold a boating safety education certificate may operate a PWC only if under the direct onboard supervision of his or her parent or legal guardian.
- Those 16 years of age and older who hold a boating safety education certificate may operate a PWC without any restrictions.