Displaying the Registration Number and Validation Stickers
If your vessel requires registration, it is illegal to operate it or allow others to operate your vessel unless it is registered and numbered as described below.
The registration number and validation stickers must be displayed as follows.
- Number must be painted, applied as a decal, or otherwise affixed to both sides of the forward half of the vessel as high above the waterline as is practical.
- Number must read from left to right on both sides of the vessel.
- Number must be in at least three-inch-high, vertical BLOCK letters.
- Number’s color must contrast with its background.
- Letters must be separated from the numbers by spaces or hyphens: DC 3717 ZW or DC-3717-ZW.
- No other numbers may be displayed on either side of the forward half of the vessel.
- Sticker must be placed within six inches of the number.
PWC also are required to display the registration number and validation stickers.