Improper Speed and Distance
Improper Speed or Distance is not maintaining a proper speed and distance while operating a vessel. Specifically, it is illegal to:
- Operate at a rate of speed that endangers the life or property of any person. Operators also must avoid causing any danger or damage with their vessel’s wash or wake.
- Operate in an area restricted for use by a regatta, race, marine parade, marine tournament or exhibition, or similar organized event.
- Operate a power-driven vessel at greater than 6 miles per hour (mph) in these areas:
- The Potomac River upstream from the Arlington Memorial Bridge
- The Washington Channel upstream from Hains Point
- The Anacostia River upstream from Green Leaf Point to the Benning Road Bridge
- Operate a power-driven vessel at greater than 10 mph when passing the wharf area of Alexandria, Virginia.