Specific PFD Requirements
- All vessels must have at least one USCG–approved wearable PFD for each person on board or being towed.
- In addition to the above requirements, one USCG–approved throwable device must be on board vessels 16 feet or longer.
- Children under 13 years of age must wear a USCG–approved PFD at all times while underway unless the child is below deck or in an enclosed cabin.
- If the operator of a vessel 16 feet or longer is under 18 years of age, the operator and all passengers who are under 18 years of age must wear a USCG–approved PFD at all times while underway.
- All PFDs must be in good and serviceable condition and must be readily accessible. Life jackets must be of the proper size for the intended wearer. Sizing for life jackets is based on body weight and chest size.