Specific PFD Requirements
Florida law requires the following with respect to personal flotation devices (life jackets).
- All vessels must carry one Type I, II, III, IV, or V USCG–approved PFD for each person on board.
- All PFDs must be in good and serviceable condition and legibly marked showing the USCG approval number. The PFDs must be of the proper size for the intended wearer. Sizing for PFDs is based on body weight and chest size.
- In addition to the above requirements, vessels 16 feet in length or longer must have one Type IV USCG–approved PFD on board and immediately available.
- Children under six years of age must wear a USCG–approved Type I, II, or III PFD at all times while on any vessel less than 26 feet in length that is underway upon Florida waters.
- Each person on board a PWC, and anyone being towed behind a vessel, must wear a USCG–approved PFD. Inflatable PFDs are not to be worn on PWCs or while water-skiing.