The Handbook of Idaho Boating Laws and Responsibilities
The Official Boating Handbook of the Idaho State Parks and Recreation - Web Version
Table of Contents
You must have an Idaho Certificate of Registration/Number and validation stickers to operate your vessel legally on Idaho waters.
The only exceptions are:
- Manually propelled vessels (for example: canoes, rafts, and kayaks)
- Float tubes (without a motor)
- Vessels properly registered in another state and using Idaho waters for 60 or fewer consecutive days
- Vessels documented by the U.S. Coast Guard
All sailboats, whether power-driven or under sail, need to be registered.
The original Certificate of Registration or registration renewal must be on board and available for inspection by an enforcement officer whenever the vessel is operated.
The registration number and validation stickers must be displayed as follows.
- Number must be painted, applied as a decal, or otherwise affixed to both sides of the bow, as high above the waterline as possible.
- Number must read from left to right on both sides of the bow.
- Number must be in at least three-inch-high, vertical BLOCK letters.
- Number’s color must contrast sharply with the vessel’s background.
- Letters must be separated from the numbers by a space or hyphen equal to the letter width: ID 3717 ZW or ID–3717–ZW.
- No other numbers may be displayed on either side of the bow.
- One sticker must be affixed to each side of the vessel. It must be within six inches of and in line with the registration number and may be placed to either side of the registration number. Expired stickers must be removed or covered completely by the new sticker.
Where To Register
Registration application forms can be obtained from:
- The Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation
- Boat registration vendors
- Any county assessor’s or motor vehicle office
Submit your registration application and fee to:
Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation
P.O. Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0065
Registration Questions? Visit the Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation (IDPR) website at www.parksandrecreation.idaho.gov or call IDPR at 1-800-247-6332. Also, you can call or visit your County Sheriff or an IDPR office.
Fees To Register Your Vessel
|Vessels up to 12 feet in length||$20.00|
|Vessels 12 feet in length or longer||$20.00 plus $2.00/foot over 12 feet|
|Idaho Invasive Species Fund||$10.00|
|Vessels owned by a non-profit organization||$2.00|
An administrative fee of $1.50 may be added to each registration.
The listed fees are valid as of October 2013, and they are subject to change at any time. To see the most current fees, go to http://www.dmv.org/id-idaho/boat-registration.php.