Penalties for Boating While Intoxicated
Illinois law establishes the following penalties for operating under the influence (OUI).
- Those convicted of OUI for the first time may be imprisoned for up to one year and/or fined up to $2,500.
- Repeat offenders will receive more severe penalties, including the possible seizure and forfeiture of their vessel.
The penalty for OUI increases to a Class 4 felony if:
- The operator has a previous OUI conviction or…
- The offense results in serious personal injury or…
- The offense occurred when the operator’s privileges to operate a vessel were revoked or suspended.
The penalty for OUI increases to a Class 2 felony if the offense results in the death of a person.