Boat Excise Tax
Indiana law requires owners of vessels that are operated, used, docked, or stored in Indiana to pay the boat excise tax.
- Vessels subject to excise tax include:
- Motorboats registered in Indiana
- The amount of boat excise tax paid:
- Is based on the value of the vessel when new and is reduced 10% each year up to a 50% reduction of the original amount.
- Is a set fee for vessels that are stored in Indiana for 60 consecutive days or more in a boating year but are not used or docked in Indiana waters.
- When you receive your certificate of registration, you also receive two excise tax decals.
- Decals include the date of expiration. Only the current decals may be displayed.
- The boat excise tax decals are valid for one year. Owners of registered vessels will be sent a renewal notice to their residence automatically.
- If you lose or destroy your decals, you must apply to the BMV for duplicates and submit a processing fee.