About the Study Guide

You are looking at a preview of what’s in the timed Boat Indiana Course. Feel free to look around, but you’ll need to register to begin progress toward getting your Indiana Boater Education Certificate.

Learn More Register for the Course

Some vessels equipped with VHF radios are required to have a Ship Station License by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).

  • As of 1996, most recreational vessels no longer need an FCC license if operating domestically. “Domestically” means not traveling to foreign ports or transmitting to foreign stations (including Canada).
  • Recreational vessels that are still required to carry an FCC Ship Station License are powerboats more than 65.6 feet (20 meters) in length and any vessel on an international voyage.

For FCC Information