The Handbook of Iowa Boating Laws and Responsibilities
The Official Boating Handbook of the Iowa Department of Natural Resources - Web Version
Table of Contents
|PWC||Boat Less Than 16 Ft.||Boat 16 Ft. to Less Than 40 Ft.|
|Boater Education Certificate on Board||✓1||✓1||✓1|
|Registration Certificate on Board||✓||✓||✓|
|Registration Decals Displayed||✓||✓||✓|
|Vessel Capacity Displayed||✓||✓||✓|
|Life Jackets: Wearable Type I, II, III, or V||✓2||✓||✓|
|Throwable Flotation Device||✓|
|Type B-I Fire Extinguisher||✓||✓||✓|
|Backfire Flame Arrestor||✓||✓3||✓3|
|Horn, Whistle, or Bell||4||✓|
|Daytime Visual Distress Signals||✓5|
|Nighttime Visual Distress Signals||6||✓5||✓5|
- Required for operators under 18 years of age.
- Every person on board a PWC must wear a life jacket at all times.
- Required on inboard and stern drives only.
- None required, but at least a whistle is recommended.
- Required only if operating on federally controlled waters.
- Some items are not applicable to personal watercraft since these vessels may not be operated between sunset and sunrise.
Other equipment requirements may apply to vessels longer than 40 feet.