Hull Identification Numbers
The Hull Identification Number (HIN) is a unique 12-digit number assigned by the manufacturer to vessels built after 1972.
- Hull Identification Numbers:
- Distinguish one vessel from another—the same as serial numbers distinguish one car from another.
- Are engraved or stamped in the hull transom, or on a metal plate attached to the transom, or are printed on inflated rafts and kayaks.
- You should write down your HIN and put it in a place separate from your vessel in case warranty problems arise or your vessel is stolen.
- If your vessel is homemade, the County Recorder may issue you a HIN, which you then must affix permanently to the transom.
- It is illegal to destroy, remove, cover, or mutilate a HIN.