Operating at Illegal Speeds or Distances
Iowa law states that these dangerous operating practices are illegal.
Improper Speed or Distance is not maintaining a proper speed or distance while operating a vessel. Specifically, it is illegal to operate a vessel:
- At greater than “slow, no wake speed” in any posted "no wake zone"
- At greater than 5 miles per hour (mph) within 100 feet of another vessel that is underway at 5 mph or less
- At greater than 5 mph within 50 feet of another vessel that is underway at greater than 5 mph
- At greater than 10 mph unless vision is unobstructed for at least 200 feet ahead
- At greater than 10 mph within 300 feet of shore (except in specially zoned areas) on any inland lake or federal impoundment
- At greater than 25 mph between one-half hour after sunset and sunrise on any lake in Dickinson County
- At greater than 10 mph between one hour after sunset and one hour before sunrise on Lake Delhi