Kansas Boating Laws and Regulations

Do you need Kansas Boating education?


You need education if you are between 12 and 20 years old, are unaccompanied, and will be operating a PWC, powerboat, or sailboat in Kansas.

There is no minimum age requirement to take this online course.

You do not have to be a resident of Kansas to take this online course.


Boating education is currently required in several U.S. states and Canadian provinces.

Age and Operator Restrictions

The minimum age for operating a vessel in Kansas is 12. No one under the age of 12 may operate a motorboat or PWC on Kansas public waters unless accompanied by and under the direct supervision of a parent or person at least 18 years of age.

Any person between the ages of 12 and 20 who wishes to operate a vessel (PWC, powerboat, sailboat) without direct supervision must complete an approved boater education course. Direct supervision means being able to take over in case of an emergency.

For a PWC, this means on the same vessel not riding next to it. The supervising adult must be at least 18 years of age and either:

  • Have completed a boater education course or...
  • Be 21 years of age or older.


Kansas law enforcement officers patrol the waterways to make your boating experience safe and pleasant. Cooperate with them by following the laws and guidelines.

Carry the Card: Vessel operators who are required to have a Boater Education Card must carry the card on board the vessel and have it available for inspection by an enforcement officer.

Penalty: Not carrying your Boater Education Card when one is required can result in a fine.

Is the Boating Card the same as the Boating License?

The Kansas Boater Education Certificate is proof that you have successfully completed all of the components of an approved Boating safety course and allows you to go boating. Because the Boating education card or certificate does not expire and does not need to be renewed, it is not called the Kansas Boating License.

Even if not required by law to get the Kansas boating education card, many boaters take the boat safety course in order to save on their PWC or boat insurance.

Do your part to make boating in Kansas an enjoyable pastime! Become an educated, responsible boater by completing the Boat Kansas course, and practice what you learn.


For visiting boaters, all states, territories, and provinces will recognize boating education cards that meet NASBLA requirements and Canadian Pleasure Craft Operator Cards that meet Transport Canada’s requirements. (This is known as “reciprocity.”)

Need help? Here are the answers to the questions Kansas Boating students most frequently ask.

Frequently Asked Questions