About the Study Guide

You are looking at a preview of what’s in the timed Kansas Boat Ed Course. Feel free to look around, but you’ll need to register to begin progress toward getting your Kansas Boater Education Certificate.

Learn More Register for the Course

Kansas Boating Certificate of Number

If your vessel requires registration, it is illegal to operate it or allow others to operate your vessel unless it is registered and numbered.

Registration application forms are available from marine stores, county clerk's offices, or the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism (KDWPT). Mail the completed application and required fee to the KDWPT.

A Kansas boat registration is valid for three years from the date it is issued.

Renewal notices are mailed prior to the registration expiration date. If you do not receive a renewal notice by mail, contact the Boating Section at the Pratt Operations Office or renew your registration over the Internet at www.kdwpt.state.ks.us.

When a vessel is sold, lost, stolen, destroyed, transferred, or abandoned, or if the vessel owner's address changes, the owner must notify the KDWPT within 15 days.

Both in-state and out-of-state vessels must have their Certificate of Number (pocket-sized registration card) on board at all times.

Larger recreational vessels owned by U.S. citizens may (at the option of the owner) be documented by the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG). Call the USCG at 1-800-799-8362 for more information. Owners of documented vessels also are required to register their vessel in Kansas. These vessels must display the Kansas registration decals on each side of the forward half of the vessel so that the decals are clearly visible.