Specific PFD Requirements
Kansas law requires the following with respect to personal flotation devices (life jackets).
- All vessels must have at least one USCG–approved Type I, II, III, or V PFD for each person on board and being towed. Vessels 16 feet or longer, except canoes and kayaks, also must carry one USCG–approved Type IV throwable device.
- Persons 12 years of age or younger must wear a USCG–approved Type I, II, or III PFD while on board or being towed by a vessel. A life belt or ring will not satisfy the requirement.
- A personal watercraft may not be operated unless each person on board is wearing a USCG–approved Type I, II, III, or V PFD.
- Sailboarders are not required to wear a PFD, but it is recommended.
- Inflatable PFDs are not recommended for nonswimmers or anyone under the age of 16.
- All PFDs must be in good and serviceable condition and must be readily accessible. The PFDs must be of the proper size for the intended wearer. Sizing for PFDs is based on body weight and chest size.