Displaying the Registration Number and Registration Decal
If your vessel requires registration, it is illegal to operate or allow others to operate your vessel unless it is registered and numbered as described below.
The registration number and registration decal must be displayed as follows.
- Number must be painted, applied as a decal, or otherwise affixed to both sides of the forward half of the vessel where no other number may be displayed.
- Number must read from left to right on both sides of the vessel.
- Number must be in at least three-inch-high, vertical BLOCK letters.
- Number’s color must contrast with its background.
- Letters must be separated from the numbers by hyphens or spaces; for example: KY-3717-ZW or KY 3717 ZW.
- Decal must be placed behind the number (towards the stern) and be within six inches of and in-line with the number.