Other Facts About Titling and Registering Your Boat
- All vessels which require registration must also be titled in Kentucky. You must apply for a title within 15 days of the purchase or transfer.
- A Certificate of Registration is valid for one year. Owners of vessels that have already been registered will be sent a renewal notice at least 30 days prior to the expiration date.
- The owner of a numbered vessel must notify the county clerk within 15 days if:
- He or she changes address.
- The vessel is lost, stolen, destroyed, abandoned, or sold.
- Vessels registered in another state may operate on Kentucky waters for 60 consecutive days before Kentucky registration is required.
- If you lose or destroy your Certificate of Registration or decal, you must apply to the county clerk for a duplicate and submit a processing fee.
- Larger recreational vessels owned by U.S. citizens may, at the option of the owner, be documented by the U.S. Coast Guard. Call the USCG’s Documentation Center at 1-800-799-8362 for more information.