Displaying the Registration Number and Validation Decals
If your vessel requires registration, it is illegal to operate it or allow others to operate your vessel unless it is registered and numbered as described below.
The registration number and validation decals must be displayed as follows.
- Number must be painted, applied as a decal, or otherwise affixed to both sides of the bow.
- Number must read from left to right on both sides of the bow.
- Number must be in at least three-inch-high, plain BLOCK letters.
- Number’s color must contrast with its background.
- Letters must be separated from the numbers by a space or hyphen equal in length to a letter; for example: LA 3717 ZW or LA-3717-ZW.
- No other numbers may be displayed on either side of the bow.
- Decals must be affixed on both sides of the vessel within six inches of the registration number.