Specific PFD Requirements
Louisiana law requires the following with respect to PFDs.
- Each person on board must wear a USCG–approved Type I, II, III, or V PFD while underway on a motorboat less than 16 feet long using an outboard motor that is steered by a hand tiller or steering arm attached to the motor. This requirement does not apply to electronic trolling motors.
- In addition to the above requirements, boats 16 feet in length or longer must have one USCG–approved throwable device on board and readily accessible.
- Louisiana law requires that all children 16 years of age and younger wear a USCG–approved PFD while underway on a vessel less than 26 feet long. The PFD must be fastened and of the proper size for the child.
- All boats must have at least one USCG–approved Type I, II, or III PFD that is wearable and of the proper size for each person on board or being towed. Sizing for PFDs is based on body weight and chest size.
- Each person riding on a PWC must wear a USCG–approved Type I, II, III, or V PFD.
- All PFDs must be in good and serviceable condition and must be readily accessible.