The Maine Boater Safety Handbook
The Official Boating Handbook of the Maine Department of Natural Resources - Web Version
Table of Contents
Registration is valid for one year and expires on December 31 of the year when it was issued.
When a registered vessel is sold, follow this procedure.
- The seller must remove and destroy the vessel's validation stickers and notify the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife (DIFW) of the transfer of ownership within 10 days of the transaction.
- The validation sticker is not transferable. The new owner must register the vessel and pay the registration fee.
If you transfer ownership of your vessel and purchase a new vessel, you may apply for a transfer registration.
- You must turn in your old registration when you apply for the transfer.
- The registration is valid until December 31 of the current year.
All motorboats operating on Maine internal waters must display the Lake and River Protection Sticker. This sticker shows that your motorboat complies with the Preserve Maine Waters program.
- For boats registered in Maine, this sticker is part of the validation sticker and must be displayed on both sides of the motorboat.
- Owners of motorboats not registered in Maine must purchase separate Lake and River Protection Stickers.
- The stickers must be affixed to both sides of the bow, three inches to the right of the registration sticker and immediately to the right of the motorboat's validation sticker.
- The stickers are nontransferable.
- The stickers may be purchased from most Registration Agents or from the DIFW main office in Augusta. The fee is $20.
- Motorboats operating only in territorial waters do not need to display a Lake and River Protection Sticker.
It is illegal to place any vessel that is contaminated with an invasive aquatic plant on any inland waters in Maine.
The owner of a registered vessel must notify the DIFW within 10 days if:
- He or she changes address.
- The vessel is stolen, recovered, destroyed, abandoned, or permanently removed from Maine.
If you lose or destroy your registration or stickers, you must obtain a duplicate from a Registration Agent or from the DIFW main office in Augusta.
Larger recreational vessels owned by U.S. citizens may (at the option of the owner) be documented by the U.S. Coast Guard. Call the USCG at 1-800-799-8362 for more information.
Schedule of Fees*
Motorboat Registration Fees
|Horsepower Rating||Inland Waters**||Tidal Waters|
|* Fees do not include agent fee.
** Includes a $10 fee for the control and prevention of invasive species.
|10 hp or less||$25||$15|
|Greater than 10 hp, less than 50 hp||$30||$20|
|Greater than 50 hp, less than 115 hp||$36||$26|
|Greater than 115 hp||$44||$34|
Lake and River Protection Sticker Fees
|If motorboat is:||Fee|
|Registered in Maine||Included in motorboat registration fee|
|Not registered in Maine||$20|
The listed fees are valid as of October 2013, and they are subject to change at any time. To see the most current fees, go to http://www.maine.gov/ifw/atv_snowmobile_watercraft/registration.htm#watercraft