The Massachusetts Boater Safety Handbook
The Official Boating Handbook of the Massachusetts Department of Natural Resources - Web Version
Table of Contents
You must have a Massachusetts Certificate of Number (boat registration) to operate a motorboat legally on Massachusetts waters.
Exceptions to registration are:
- Vessels without any kind of motor (unpowered canoes, sailboats, or kayaks)
- Vessels properly registered in another state and using Massachusetts waters for 60 or fewer consecutive days
- Vessels documented with the U.S. Coast Guard
The Certificate of Number (pocket-sized card) must be on board and available for inspection by an enforcement officer whenever the vessel is being operated.
The registration number and validation decal must be displayed as follows.
- Number must be painted, applied as a decal, or otherwise affixed on the forward half of each side of the vessel and placed to be clearly visible.
- Number must read from left to right on both sides of the vessel.
- Number must be in at least three-inch-high, bold, BLOCK letters.
- Number’s color must contrast sharply with its background.
- No other numbers may be displayed on either side of the bow.
- Letters must be separated from the numbers by two-inch spaces or hyphens: MS 3717 ZW or MS-3717-ZW.
- The validation decal must be affixed within six inches following the registration number on the port (left) side of the vessel.
If your vessel requires registration, it is illegal to operate it or allow others to operate your vessel unless it is registered and numbered as described above.
Where to Register
You can submit your registration or title applications and fees to:
- Massachusetts Environmental Police
Registration and Titling Bureau
251 Causeway St., Suite 101
Boston, MA 02114 or…
- Any of our satellite offices listed in the Massachusetts Environmental Police Directory or…
- The online registration renewal at: www.mass.gov/ole*
Contact the Registration and Titling Bureau by calling 617-626-1610 or sending a fax to 617-626-1630. You also may find the answers to registration questions on the Internet by visiting www.mass.gov/ole*.
*If your registration has been expired for 48 months or longer, you will not be able to renew online.