Table of Contents

Download the PDF Version

It's the Law

Titling Your Motorboat

All vessels 14 feet or greater in length that require registration, also must be titled.

The title application must be made to the Massachusetts Environmental Police within 20 days of purchasing a vessel.

The title certificate is valid for the life of the vessel or until the vessel is sold or otherwise transferred, at which time the new owner must transfer the title.

How to Apply for Registration

To register a vessel, you need to provide:

  • Bill of Sale (name and address of seller)
  • Sales tax form (ST-6 or ST-6E) (you can pay sales tax online at
  • Pencil tracing of Hull ID Number (serial number)*
  • Required fees (see fee schedule in Fees to Register and Title Your Vessel)
  • Properly completed and signed registration application

* If your vessel was built prior to 1972 or does not have a proper Hull Identification Number (HIN), a vessel inspection may be required. See Hull Identification Number for more information on HINs.

If the vessel is 14 ft. or greater in length, you also need to provide in addition to the documents above:

  • The title** or, if the vessel is documented with the USCG, Termination of Documentation (“Deletion Letter”) from the USCG

** If the vessel is purchased new from a registered boat dealer or department store, an original “Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin” is required in lieu of title. When a boat is purchased from a private party from a non-titled state, the previous owner’s registration is required in lieu of title.

When in doubt, please call one of our registration offices listed in the Massachusetts Environmental Police Directory prior to submitting an application.

Fees to Register and Title Your Vessel

Registration of a Motorboat (2 years)

Length of vessel Fee
Under 16 ft. $40
16 ft. to less than 26 ft. $60
26 ft. to less than 40 ft. $80
40 ft. plus $100

Other Fees

Title $25
Duplicate Title $15
Transfer of Registration $15
Duplicate Registration $10

The listed fees are valid as of October 2013, and they are subject to change at any time. To see the most current fees, go to

*If visiting any registration office, please bring a check or money order made out to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.