Table of Contents

Download the PDF Version

It's the Law

Other Facts About Titling and Registration

All vessels that are 20 feet long or longer or have a permanently affixed engine must be titled also.

As the owner of a vessel, you must notify the Secretary of State and surrender your Certificate of Number within 15 days if:

  • Your vessel is abandoned or destroyed or…
  • Your vessel is sold or ownership is transferred or…
  • You change your address.

If you lose or destroy your Certificate of Number or decal, you must apply to the Secretary of State for a duplicate and submit a processing fee.

Larger recreational vessels owned by U.S. citizens may (at the option of the owner) be documented by the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG). Call the USCG at 1-800-799-8362 for more information. Documented vessels are required to be registered also.

Schedule of Fees to Register Your Vessel

Motorboats (all motors including electric motors)

  • Less than 12 feet: $14.00
  • 12 feet to less than 16 feet: $17.00
  • 16 feet to less than 21 feet: $42.00
  • 21 feet to less than 28 feet: $115.00
  • 28 feet to less than 35 feet: $168.00
  • 35 feet to less than 42 feet: $244.00
  • 42 feet to less than 50 feet: $280.00
  • 50 feet and over: $448.00
  • Pontoon vessels—any length: $23.00
  • Motorized canoe—any length: $14.00
  • Vessels licensed under part 473: $15.00
  • Vessels carrying passengers/freight for hire: $45.00

Other Fees

  • Non-powered vessels (except non-motorized canoes or kayaks): $9.00
  • Non-motorized canoes or kayaks: $5.00
  • 15-day temporary permit: $10.00