The Handbook of Michigan Boating Laws and Responsibilities
The Official Boating Handbook of the Michigan Department of Natural Resources - Web Version
Table of Contents
|PWC||Boat Less Than 16 Ft.||Boat 16 Ft. to
Less Than 26 Ft.
|Boating Safety Certificate on Board||✓1||✓1||✓1|
|Certificate of Number on Board||✓||✓||✓|
|Validation Decals Displayed||✓||✓||✓|
|Wearable PFDs: Type I, II, or III||✓2||✓3||✓3|
|Throwable PFD: Type IV||✓|
|Type B-I Fire Extinguisher||✓||✓||✓|
|Engine Cut-Off Switch||✓|
|Backfire Flame Arrestor||✓||✓4||✓4|
|Horn, Whistle, or Bell||✓5||✓5||✓|
- Applicable for some operators. See Who May Operate a Boat and Who May Operate a Personal Watercraft (PWC) for details.
- Those on PWC must wear a PFD at all times. Inflatable PFDs may not be used.
- Those under the age of 6 years must wear a Type I or II PFD when riding on the open deck of any vessel.
- Required on inboard and stern drives only.
- Required only on the Great Lakes and waters connected to the Great Lakes.
- Unpowered vessels (sailboats under sail, rowboats, etc.) are required only to have a flashlight or a lantern on hand.