About the Study Guide

You are looking at a preview of what’s in the timed Mississippi Boat Ed Course. Feel free to look around, but you’ll need to register to begin progress toward getting your Mississippi Boater Education Certificate.

Learn More Register for the Course

  • Effective July 1, 1998, you may choose to title your vessel and/or outboard motor; however, titling is not mandatory.
  • A Certificate of Number is valid for three years from the last day of the month in which the original or transferred certificate was received. Owners of vessels that have already been registered will be sent a renewal notice to their residence without any action by the owner.
  • If you change your address, you must notify the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, & Parks (MDWFP) within 15 days of the change.
  • If a numbered vessel is lost, stolen, or abandoned, the owner should report it to local authorities and to the MDWFP within 15 days of such event.
  • If you lose or destroy your Certificate of Number or decal(s), you must apply to the MDWFP for duplicates and submit processing fees.
  • Vessels registered in another state may operate on Mississippi waters for 60 days before Mississippi registration and numbering is required.
  • Larger recreational vessels owned by U.S. citizens may (at the option of the owner) be documented by the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG). Call the USCG at 1-800-799-8362 for more information.