Table of Contents

Download the PDF Version

It's the Law

Discharge of Oil and Other Hazardous Substances

It is illegal to discharge oil or hazardous substances into the water.

You are not allowed to dump oil into the bilge of the vessel without means for proper disposal.

You must dispose of oil waste at an approved reception facility. On recreational vessels, a bucket or bailer is adequate for temporary storage.

If boating on federally controlled waters and your vessel is 26 feet or longer, you must display a 5 x 8-inch placard near the bilge pump control station stating the Federal Water Pollution Control Act’s law.

If your vessel discharges oil or hazardous substances into the water, immediately call the National Response Center at 1-800-424-8802. Also, call the Missouri Department of Natural Resources at 573-634-2436.

Discharge of Oil Prohibited
Oil discharge placard