Improper Speed or Distance
Improper Speed or Distance is not maintaining a proper speed or distance while operating a motorboat or PWC or while towing a person on water skis or any similar device. Specifically, it is illegal to:
- Operate a motorboat or PWC at speeds that may cause danger, injury, damage, or unnecessary inconvenience. Be aware of and obey all regulatory markers, including those marked as “idle speed” or “no wake.”
- Operate a vessel at a speed in excess of “slow, no wake speed” within 100 feet of any emergency vessel that has red or blue emergency lights displayed.
- Operate a motorboat or PWC at speeds greater than “idle speed” or “slow, no wake speed” within 100 feet of:
- A dock or pier
- An occupied, anchored vessel
- A buoyed restricted area
- Areas where damage may be caused from the wake of your motorboat
Exceeding Night Speed Limit is operating a motorboat or PWC in excess of 30 miles per hour any time from one-half hour after sunset until one hour before sunrise when on the waters of the state.