Specific PFD Requirements
- All vessels 16 feet in length or longer must carry one wearable USCG–approved PFD for each person on board or being towed. Vessels less than 16 feet in length must carry one wearable or one throwable USCG–approved PFD for each person on board or being towed. Under federal law, however, a wearable PFD is required for each person on board regardless of vessel length.
- In addition to the requirements above, vessels 16 feet in length or longer must have one throwable USCG–approved device on board and readily accessible.
- All PFDs must be in good and serviceable condition and readily accessible. The PFDs must be of the proper size for the intended wearer. Sizing for PFDs is based on body weight and chest size.
- Everyone on board a PWC must wear a USCG–approved Type I, II, III, or V PFD.
- PFDs may not be stowed in closed or locked compartments.